You are invited, as an expert on your community to participate in the UrbanPlan workshop program.
UrbanPlan is a 4.5 hour long workshop designed to engage, educate, and elevate participation in the planning and development processes at work in Memphis. UrbanPlan workshops are hands-on, interactive, planning simulations that allow Memphians to experience a planning process as they work in teams with Legos, a map, and a financial spreadsheet to respond to a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the fictional City of Yorktown. This unique real estate development simulation provides participants with a realistic experience in developing land use solutions to urban growth challenges.
By taking on the role of developer, participants in the workshop get a chance to broaden their knowledge in the following areas:
• how the planning process can result in a stronger neighborhood;
• the basics of financing complex projects;
• the benefits of different building types (economically and to the community);
• how density and open space factor into a neighborhood plan; and
• the importance each team member plays and the role of compromise in a project.
Breakfast, lunch, and free parking will be provided. This event is free and open to the public.