BLDG Memphis began as Community Development Council of Greater Memphis, incorporated in 2000 as a peer organization for community development corporations (CDCs) in Memphis, and today our work to support those organizations remains one of our core program areas.
In this area, we work to build the capacity of CDCs through a variety of formal and informal programs, including
Organizational capacity assessment in five areas – organizational development, business and financial structure, community outreach, housing development and management, and economic development, conducted by independent evaluators and using our proprietary Capacity Assessment Tool (CAT) for Memphis CDCs;
- Customized capacity building plans, based on the results of the CAT;
- One-on-one technical assistance (see below for additional details);
- Peer networking and information sharing;
- Occasional training programs based on need and demand;
- Focused peer groups for CDCs engaged in rental housing development/management, and housing counselors, which meet two to four times per year
- Scholarships to attend training workshops and conferences.
Individualized technical assistance is available to both member and nonmember CDCs and covers a broad spectrum of services, such as grant research, introductions to funders and community partners, board education on governance issues, organizational policy review and assistance (e.g. bylaws, conflict of interest, etc.) and much more.
For more information about our capacity building programs for CDCs, please email our Capacity Building Program Manager, Donna Olds White at firstname.lastname@example.org.To become a CDC member of BLDG Memphis, please visit our membership page.
New City Builders
New City Builders is a six month, hands-on group learning course offered as part of the BLDG Memphis CDC Capacity Building Program. The goal of NCB is to strengthen the abilities of new leaders in the local community development industry by equipping them with the knowledge and connections necessary to stabilize and revitalize Memphis neighborhoods through:
- Field Work with CDC industry partners
- Course Work with industry instructors
- Making Connections with key partners
New City Builders began in 2015 as part of the capacity building program offerings of BLDG Memphis. The 2019 New City Builders Cohort is our 4th cohort to engage in the program. Past graduates of New City Builders include:
- Jared Myers, Executive Director of The Heights CDC
- Amy Schaftlein, Executive Director of United Housing, Inc.
- Charia Jackson, Housing Counseling Program Manager at Frayser CDC
- Crystal Chopin, Oasis of Hope CDC
- Rebecca Matlock Hutchins, Site Director of Soulsville, USA
- Ashley Cash, Memphis 3.0 Administrator
- Cassandra Harris, Former Executive Director of Power Center CDC
- James Nelson, Executive Director of The Stone CDC
- Chris Oliver, Executive Director of Alcy Ball CDC
- Priscilla Reed, Homebuyer Education Director at United Housing, Inc.
- John Paul Shaffer, Executive Director of BLDG Memphis
- Angela Watson, Board Member at Pigeon Roost CDC
- Seth Harkin, Program Director at Alcy Ball CDC
- Stephanie Hill, Vice President of Rozelle Snowden Neighborhood Association
- Vera Holmes, Coordinator at Mallory Heights CDC
- Rhonda Logan, Executive Director of Raleigh CDC
- Josh Mohundro, Housing Director at Frayser CDC
- Mia Peete, Executive Director and Founder of Douglass Cornerstone
- Mary Webb, Mallory Heights CDC
To learn more about New City Builders and how to get involved with CDCs in your neighborhood, contact Donna Olds White at email@example.com or 901-567-5365.